20 Phrases To Repeat Every Day That Relieve Chronic Depression
These twenty inspiring quotes can help uplift your spirits on your gloomiest days.
Chronic depression is a serious issue all around the world. In fact, it impacts approximately 17.3 million adults in the United States alone. If you aren’t one of those that suffer from depression, chances are someone close to you does. These inspiring quotes to help relieve chronic depression can ease the negative feelings that accompany it.
When you battle with depression, some days are much worse than others. There will be days when you don’t even feel like getting out of bed, let alone living your life. Luckily, many resources are available to help you, and these inspiring quotes are one of them.
Inspiring Quotes to Help Relieve Chronic Depression
Use these inspiring quotes to help lift you out of your depression so that you can live your life again. If someone you know suffers from depression, then share these inspiring quotes with them, too.
1. “The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
While experiencing these situations and feelings is never desired, try to stay positive. Remind yourself that many great and successful people in the world have been through it before. They pulled through and forged ahead, and you can, too.
2. “You are not your illness. You have an individual story to tell. You have a name, a history, a personality. Staying yourself is part of battle.” – Julian Seifter
While you may have been diagnosed with chronic depression, it doesn’t define who you are. You are still the same person with the same history and personality, so make sure to stay true to yourself. Don’t lose yourself in an attempt to get through the illness, but instead, embrace the things that make you unique.
3. “Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget about everything except what you’re going to do now—and do it.” – William Durant
Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to forgive yourself for them and forget about them. Forget about all the things that hold you back or make you doubt yourself. If you can let go of those things, you will have an easier time relieving chronic depression.
4. “If you want the light to come into your life, you need to stand where it is shining.” – Guy Finley
Look for the things that make you feel good and happy. Find what makes you feel better and a little brighter, and then focus on that. If you want to feel better and relieve your depression, you must find the things that inspire or comfort you.
5. “If you don’t think your anxiety, depression, sadness, and stress impact your physical health, think again. All of these emotions trigger chemical reactions in your body, which can lead to inflammation and a weakened immune system. Learn how to cope, sweet friend. There will always be dark days.” – Kris Carr
All of these negative emotions can impact your physical health, too. This gives you even more of a reason to work on relieving your chronic depression. Find ways to cope, even on the hardest days, so that you can live a healthy life.
6. “Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.” – William James
If you believe that life is worth it, you will notice the depression lifts a bit. Try using positive affirmations for depression to reaffirm your belief. As you speak the words out loud to yourself, you are more likely to believe them and live by them.
7. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
Just because you have been defeated once doesn’t mean that everything is over. You can be defeated and still move forward, and you should strive to do so.
If you can accept defeat and keep trying anyway, you will find that your depression lifts. Don’t let your mental health hold you back and make you feel like you can’t do more or keep trying.
8. “Sometimes, life will kick you around, but sooner or later, you realize you’re not just a survivor. You’re a warrior, and you’re stronger than anything life throws your way.” – Brooke Davis
As you endure all of the hardships and obstacles in life, you will become a survivor. You have survived everything so far and gotten stronger with each step.
9. “Depression, suffering, and anger are all part of being human.” – Janet Fitch
You are not weird or messed up for being depressed. These emotions are part of being human, and everyone has their own mental issues to deal with. Keep pushing through, and don’t give yourself a hard time because of your situation.
10. “On particularly rough days when I’m sure I can’t possibly endure, I like to remind myself that my track record for getting through bad days so far is 100%, and that’s pretty good.” – Unknown
You have gotten through all hardships, obstacles, and bad days in the past. Remember that you made it through all of those times, and you will make it through this one, too. Recall this inspiring quote anytime you feel like you can’t go on, and you will remember the reason you can.
11. “Each morning, we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.” – Buddha
Every day is a new chance to try again. Don’t worry or obsess over what happened yesterday or any other day in the past. Focus on today, and you will find that your depression is much easier to overcome and handle.
12. “The only cure I have ever known for fear and doubt and loneliness is an immense love of self.” – Alison Malee
Depression can cause all of these negative feelings that Malee describes. If you can love yourself, though, you can push the feelings of depression, fear, doubt, and loneliness away. Practice self-love always and see where it leads you.
13. “Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was.” – Richard L. Evans
Life will bring you down sometimes, but don’t let it discourage you. All of the successful and happy people in the world struggled to get to where they are, too.
14. “You say you’re ‘depressed’ – all I see is resilience. You are allowed to feel messed up and inside out. It doesn’t mean you’re defective – it just means you’re human.” – David Mitchell
Instead of saying that you are depressed, try saying that you are resilient. Intense emotions happen, as do mental health conditions, but you are allowed to feel depressed. There is nothing wrong with it, despite anything you have heard, because being human is hard.
As you fight through your depression, remember how resilient you are. No one can get through life unscathed, and everyone has different issues to deal with. Give yourself credit for pushing forward and continuing to live life even as you work to relieve your depression.
15. “Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside of you that is greater than any obstacle.” – Christian D. Larson
When you can believe in yourself, you can do anything you set your mind to, including relieving chronic depression. You are stronger and more resilient than anything that will come your way.
16. “I’m not grateful for depression, but it honestly made me work harder and gave me the drive that I have to succeed and to make it work.” – Lili Reinhart
While depression is never a good thing, you can find positivity in your situation as Reinhart did. Your depression could push you to work harder, be determined, and stay focused as you accomplish your goals. Use it as a tool to motivate yourself instead of letting it hold you back.
17. “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – St. Francis of Assisi
You can apply this inspiring quote to many instances in life, including relieving chronic depression. When you are depressed, you will likely experience a lack of motivation or a belief that you can’t get anything done. To relieve depression, though, you must find a way to get started and move forward in life.
As you move forward, you will notice that the intense feelings of depression ease a little more all the time. Begin with the things that require immediate attention, and then you will find that you can do even more. Please don’t overdo it, but move forward a little more each time you accomplish something, no matter how small.
18. “Keep yourself busy if you want to avoid depression. For me, inactivity is the enemy.” – Matt Lucas
When your depression seems to be overtaking you, find something to do. Staying busy is one of the best ways to relieve chronic depression because you will be busy. Your mind and body will both be focused on something else instead.
19. “Accept challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.” – George S. Patton
With depression, you might not feel like doing anything, much less something challenging. Fight through the urge to turn down challenges. The feeling that comes with completing a challenge will surely relieve your depression.
20. “You don’t have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.” – Dan Millman
When you have negative throughs, try pushing them away and focus on positive thinking. If that doesn’t work, decide not to let your thoughts control you. Be your voice of reason, and tell yourself that life is worth so much more than your negative thoughts.
Final Thoughts on Inspiring Quotes to Help Relieve Chronic Depression
You can’t let chronic depression control your life. Finding a way to relieve the feelings is essential if you want to keep moving forward and reaching your goals.
When you need some help, come back and re-read these inspiring quotes to help relieve chronic depression. Remember to share them with other people in your life who may be suffering, as well.
If it seems like there is no way to overcome your depression, remember these inspiring quotes. They will help you remember that you are not alone in this and that you can get through it.