A natural leader with a knack for compassionate organization and systems, the Managing Editor contributes both to high level strategy development and to the nitty gritty of getting things done.
Mindful is a leading provider of corporate training, consumer media, licensed content, directories and other communications pertaining to the topic of mindfulness, around the world. We are a Public Benefit Corporation that exists to improve human well-being through the practices of mindfulness.
We are currently hiring a Managing Editor. A natural leader with a knack for compassionate organization and systems, the Managing Editor contributes both to high level strategy development and to the nitty gritty of getting things done. Conversant in mindfulness and spreadsheets, mentoring and problem-solving, editing, writing, and managing, the Managing Editor is a key member of the editorial team, assisting the Editor-in-Chief and serving as a prime resource for Senior and Associate Editors. The Managing Editor devises schedules and workflows for new and ongoing projects, manages budgets and timelines, helps to develop high level editorial strategy, and works with the team and across departments to ensure that all Mindful editorial products are aligned with Mindful’s goals, and are consistently high quality, produced on time and on budget, and with editorial rigor. The Managing Editor oversees daily and long term editorial operations in conjunction with the Editor in Chief, edits and writes for Mindful’s platforms, develops and maintains relationships with contributors, mentors and guides the senior and associate editors, top edits content for Mindful at Work, Mindful.org, SIPs, and the bimonthly magazine, and leads or assists in every part of the editorial team’s activities.
Full Job Description
- Devise, develop, and oversee schedules, timelines, systems, and workflows for new and ongoing projects and products (Mindful magazine, mindful.org, Mindful at Work, podcasts, SIPs, events, etc)
- Research and stay up to date on editorial and production best practices, apps, and programs that can help streamline and fine-tune Mindful’s processes
- Maintain and manage editorial budget
- Assist in developing and implementing editorial strategy across products and projects, aligning with Mindful’s goals and across departments
- Manage, mentor, and guide senior and associate editors, support Editor in Chief
- Develop and maintain relationships with contributors and teachers in Mindful’s network
- Develop content for Mindful magazine, SIPs, mindful.org, podcasts, Mindful at Work, and other new and ongoing projects and products
- Edit and top edit items for Mindful.org, Mindful magazine, SIPs, Mindful at Work, and other new and ongoing projects and products
- Manage editorial team admin (contracts, comps lists, scheduling and deadlines, capacity, time tracking, new client intake for content licensing, assigning new projects and products, etc)
- Develop and oversee freelancers (writers, content licensing, videographers, audio producers, etc)
- Other duties as assigned
- Have a deep familiarity with the wellbeing and mindfulness competitive space and an understanding of what will resonate with Mindful’s audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High-level adeptness in Asana, Pageproof, and other project management technologies, plus a curiosity about and ability to assess the usefulness of other apps and programs that may improve workflow and other processes
- Ability to work with copy of all kinds—editorial B2C, B2B, marketing, and more—at a high level of editorial engagement
- Ability to communicate with colleagues at all levels, and across departments
- A kind and compassionate leader
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with teachers, contributors, and colleagues
- Mentoring and coaching senior and associate editors
Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
This is a salaried position of $60,000 CND. We have offices in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and Chicago, Illinois, but remote workers are also welcome.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Halifax, Nova Scotia